RSS

Tomcat java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind

05 Nov

Today I started getting this weird looking exception while launching tomcat.

SEVERE: StandardServer.await: create[localhost:8005]:
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketBind(DualStackPlainSocketImpl.java:96)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.bind(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:376)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:175)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:376)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:237)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:427)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:766)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:712)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:322)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:451)

I googled around and most answers were pointing towards Port is already being used, which definitely wasn’t the issue in my case, anyways after spending few hours I figured out my main issue was that my IPV4 address changed. Although I never updated my server.xml to change localhost to any specific IP address but yet I started getting this error.

The actual cause of this issue was my host file present at WINDOWS_INSTALLTION/windows/System32/drivers/etc, where in which my old IP address was mapped against localhost like below:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.XXX.XX localhost

This second line was the main culprit, there are two ways of solving this:

  1. Remove 192.168.XXX.XX localhost line completely from host file
  2. Replace old IP with new IP in your host file i.e instead of 192.168.XXX.XX localhost change it to 192.168.XXX.YY localhost

Hope this helps!

About these ads
 
18 Comments

Posted by on November 5, 2012 in Java, Tomcat

 

Tags: ,

18 responses to “Tomcat java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind

  1. seenu

    December 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

    very nice one its really helped me.

    thank you alot.. :)

     
  2. Mohd Rashid

    January 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM

    Really very nice.. it helps me a lot. i was stuck and try to close the services and ports so many times.. but it was Host.. ;)

     
    • Prabhat Jha

      January 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

      Glad I was of some help happy coding :)

       
  3. venkat

    February 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM

    Wow … you saved my day … really very helpful … Thanks a lot :)

     
  4. anil

    April 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM

    thanks it realy helped me

     
  5. Abid

    May 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM

    thanks dude..

     
  6. asdf

    June 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

    this worked for me! thanks!

     
  7. vidhyadharan D (@vidhya_java)

    July 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM

    Thanks a lot .. Valuable info

     
  8. DK

    July 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

    Thanks alot…spent lot of time resolving this issue….finally found the solution :)

     
  9. Michael

    July 26, 2013 at 5:05 AM

    I suggest you create a question in stackoverflow and link
    this blog entry as an answer.

     
  10. sunny

    October 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM

    Wonderful it fixed my issue…

     
  11. chandra

    November 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM

    Lots of thanks you dear

     
  12. Satheesh Kumar

    November 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

    thanks

     
  13. tets

    January 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM

    It did help Thanks

     
  14. Leo Bi

    February 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM

    Thanks a lot! I had tried so many approaches, and finally this article helped me out! It is because my workstation IP had been changed recently but I didn’t realize it. Orz

     
  15. colboy

    March 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

    HAH! why on earth did i miss that! thanks a lot!

     
  16. Harinath

    March 5, 2014 at 7:28 AM

    yup, I changed my hosts file when I was in different network. now I started getting this error since. updated hosts file to look normal. then it started working fine.

     
  17. Kir

    March 19, 2014 at 4:20 AM

    Yes! it was really hepful!

     

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 50 other followers

%d bloggers like this: